Gosh, I really haven’t been tracking what’s happening inside the Java world lately. I used some Java 5 features in a project I did in Trinity last year, but I never had a glance at Java 6, and now it’s already out in a final version. Wow.
The 6 areas in which Java 6 has been improved:
- Security (better integration with platform security systems, better authentication, smartcard support)
- Integrated Web Services support (lots of WS APIs)
- Enhanced Management and Serviceability (some new JMX stuff and memory monitoring fascilities)
- Increased Developer Productivity (marketing talk! Better APIs! New JDBC 4!)
- Improved User Experience (GUIs match native OS’s looks better, yay!)
I’ll have to wait until Apple ports it to the mac until I can try it out. Oh well, I can wait.