Version 1.0 of the popular CVS alternative SubVersion has been released. Some of its features:
- Most current CVS features.
- Directories, renames, and file meta-data are versioned.
- Commits are truly atomic.
- Apache as network server, WebDAV/DeltaV for protocol (separate standalone server also available)
- Branching and tagging are cheap (constant time) operations
- Natively client/server, layered library design
- Client/server protocol sends diffs in both directions
- Costs are proportional to change size, not data size
- Efficient handling of binary files
- Parseable output
What would be nice if a PHP version control system would exist. PHP on the server side I mean, that you could setup a version control system on any server running PHP and submit all your files to that using XML-RPC or something. The problem we currently have is that nobody has access to a server that you have (root) access to and that runs 24/7.